Dental implants are something you need to give attention to. Not everyone considers the same. It’s just like any other type of surgery that requires sedation and a recovery period too. Depending on the number of implants inserted, the recovery period will also change. The well you take care post-surgery the better your body responds to the implants.
The recovery time after dental implant surgery
Normally the recovery time is 5 – 7 days post-surgery. Nevertheless, some patients need more time to recover due to some factors. Here are some factors that help you make the recovery process successful.
Few minutes after surgery
The first hour after surgery, keep firm with gentle pressure with bite. This will allow the place the dental implants properly. Its recommended not to change the gauze cloth for few hours uncles you have constant bleeding. If you wish you can change the gauze every 30 to 45 minutes.
Some symptoms you may experience in the first day include:
– Continual bleeding
– Swelling and pain
These may be considered as the signs of healing. To help make your recovery speedier and the pain minimal, here are some dental implant recovery tips you should follow:
– Do not disrupt the surgical areas
– Brush your teeth the night of surgery with a gentle toothbrush
– After 24 hours, gently rinse with salt water 2-3 times a day
– Apply ice if needed
After a day, your body begins to show the signs of healing, though you should continue your care to get the process going.
– You might notice the color change – yellow discoloration around the operated part, remember that it is normal and should last for 2 or 3 days. After that, you can apply moist heat to the area to decrease the discoloration.
– If you experience a sharp protrusion at the edge of your teeth and if it is a concern, you can seek your dentist consultation.
– There is a chance that you may experience dry lips, a sore throat and stiff jaw muscles and all these will disappear after a few days.
Rinse your mouth with salt water, taking five minutes to use up an entire 8-ounce glass. You can do this as often as you’d like, at least twice a day.
Gently brush your teeth as you normally would after the dental implant procedure. Because you may have pain and swelling, you may not be able to brush with regular vigor. But it’s important to have great oral hygiene during this recovery time.
When it comes to dental implant process in Dearborn, Michigan, Lakewood Dental Smile is the best choice. You can give us a call or make an appointment to make sure everything is tracking as it should be.