Temporal Mandibular Joint (TMJ) Treatment
What is TMJ?
Temporomandibular Joints (TMJ) are joints connecting jaw bones to the skull and its main function is to allow you to open and close your mouth. It helps you to control your forward, backward and side to side jaw movements. According to ADA, around 15% of all Americans are affected by TMJ conditions.
What are the symptoms of Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)
- Jaw pain and tenderness
- Difficulty opening or closing the mouth
- Pain when yawning or chewing
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Pain in or around the ear
What Causes TMD?
TMD may be caused by physical or psychological issues, including:
- Anxiety or stress induced tightening of facial muscles
- Suppressed anger or frustration
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
- Malocclusion (misalignment of upper and lower teeth)
- Complications from a medical condition
TMJ Disorder Treatment
Examination by our expert dentists can determine the cause of the TMD. Treatment varies with the type and cause of the pain, and may include lifestyle changes, dental treatments, an oral appliance or surgery. We are always here for you to contact us at any time to learn more about TMD and to fix an appointment with our experts for your individual consultation.